Thursday, September 2, 2010

The First Bell and other Random updates from Ukraine!




















So today was quite a typical day for a Peace Corps Volunteer in Ukraine and I need to share my experience. This is the first time this happened which is the surprising thing. So I woke up this morning not particularly interested in going to work and it was raining cats and dogs so I really don't want to go to work now. I wait for the rain to stop and I set off to walk to work. It is still warm out so I want to walk to work while I still can. It also saves me 3 UAH a day on marshrutkas. So I get to work and well they are painting my office so I can't work in the office and the only reason to be there is to work on the computer. So since I can't do that I guess I go home...



Later in the day I am supposed to see the kids at the disabled center like I do every Tuesday and Thursday. So I head out and walk to the center to get there by 2pm. I get to the center and no one is there. I talk to Ira the doctor and she tells me that everyone is out cleaning the park today for the holiday on Monday. Oh...I say, well I would have helped do that if I had known. Not sure how that didn't come through I just saw them on Tuesday and no one mentioned it. So I guess there isn't anything for me to do here so I will leave. I am supposed to meet my tutor at 5pm so no sense in going home.

At 430pm I set off on the bus to head to my tutor's house and when I almost get there she calls me and says she can't meet with me today. Oy!!! Well I am 0 for 3! This hasn't happened yet but I am not surprised that it did. All you can do is laugh about it.

Now...this week started off very interesting. Last week at the blind center I spoke with a woman named Valya who wanted me to come to her home this week so I could see how the disabled people in Konotop lived. I went to her home on Monday morning. She lives in a hostel or dormitory. It is the equivelent of a room and everyone shares a kitchen and a bathroom on each floor of the building. Her room is not very big and she has to share it with her husband and her daughter. This is not adequate housing for anyone. Granted the room was nice and they seem to have what they need but they have to take baths in their kitchen and they sleep on the same bed. Their is a waiting list for apartments in this city and if you are disabled it takes even longer for you to be approved for housing. And once you get housing it is very possible you can afford the rent or the utilities. This is a major problem in my town. Valya and her daughter Nadia are just the sweetest people too. I hope I can figure out a way to help them out. There is picture of me and them in their home with their cat.

I met with Alla on Monday to do our English/Russian tutoring. I made some roasted vegetables to take over there for dinner and she was impressed. This is good that I was successful in transfering some skills. It is one of the goals of PC. I also was able to bring a little bit of America into her home. Which is yet another goal of the PC. We looked at some more pictures of her time at the bazaar near Poltava. It is a big craft bazaar where you can buy a lot of souvenirs. It is a big market and it was very interesting she said. There is a picture of Alla, Bogdana (her daughter), Lyda (my translator) and of course Britany the cat.

Tuesday I went to see the kids in the afternoon instead of the morning. More kids come in the afternoon. I think I mentioned a while back that my center has a karaoke program on their TV. So I find myself singing The Beatles and a few other American favorites. I just love it when I am the center of attention...singing...not really! The only time karaoke is fun is after a few drinks! But it is good to know that I am not good at singing...I can cross that one off the list.

Wednesday was September 1st and the first day of school. The first and last days of school are quite important in Ukraine. The first bell, the last bell, you get it. Well yesterday was the first bell and all the schools in town (I think we have 15) have a ceremony in the morning and they ring bells. They get dressed up and there is music...it is really a good time. I couldn't find the school I was supposed to go to so I ended up there a little late but again such is life! I still got to see the kids ring the bell. And then of course after the ceremony all the kids go to their classrooms and the American (who should know by now she will be thrown into an awkward speech) has to stand up in front of the class and tell something about herself. By now I don't really need time to prepare that would just be too easy. I just get up there and say a few words. They are happy with anything...thank goodness.

I have also included some pictures of the place where I work and the office in which I sit in and the computer that I use....sometimes. It has been a while since I posted this info so for those of you just joining my blog this is where I go most days.

I am headed to Chernihiv this weekend to see my host family. More stories to come. Stay tuned.








1 comment:

  1. sounds like a rough day. keep your head up girl. we all have 0 for 3 days every once in a while.

    ReplyDelete