Sunday, August 29, 2010


I just arrived home after having three quarters of a scilian style pizza made by none other than Jud! I haven't eaten like that in a few weeks and it was delicious!



Tomorrow it is time to do some real work. September is here, school is back in and that means everyone returns from vacation and rest and starts working. I was so gung ho about getting to work when I got here, however, I have adapted quickly to the laid back lifestyle and if September 1st never got here that would be ok with me!

Last night I saw my first Konotop soccer game. Apparently, the cities in our oblast play against each other and last night we played Romni. We won 1 / 0. We took the girls (Lana, Vikka and Mosha). They are leaving for University to Kiev and we will only see them on weekends now. Very sad!

I visited a new center last week. I went to the Center for the Blind and Disabled and met with Evgenny again. He is such a wonderful man. He is blind and just so full of joy and compassion and he really wants to help people like him. And he wants my help and I want to find a way quickly to help him. I met a few other people while I was there and a man named Vladimir was there. He just finished publishing a book of his own poetry and after knowing me for 5 minutes he autographed his last copy over to me. Publishing books in this country isn't cheap and for him to give that to me as a gift was just amazing. All of his poems are in Russian so I can practice reading with it. I am truly thankful for such a gift.



I visited Alla last week and she has so many plans for me. I think I have been adopted by the Unemployment Center to do a lot of things. I may not be doing much with my host organization. I will pretty much go there to do research which is difficult because the internet doesn't work often but besides that I am pulled in a 100 different directions right now so I will need to focus my efforts if I want to get anything done. Alla is just a really great woman and she likes me a lot. We are hanging every monday night at her house too for Russian/English language exchange. I will be teaching English at her center for a few weeks and I am doing a Resume Writing workshop in September at her office. I have work to do!


No comments:

Post a Comment