Sunday, August 8, 2010

Update...

Not much to report on this week but I did have a very productive week after my last post. I met a guy who started a really cool project in Konotop several years ago with special needs children and I think I want to continue conversations with him to start that project up again or some version of it. The guy seemed so interested in helping this city he grew up in it was quite an inspiring meeting. To see someone have that much passion about the people in his town. I think we could make a great team. He has great ideas and I am a Peace Corps volunteer willing to make them happen.

I read in the Kiev Post today about the numerous stray animals that the city of Kiev has and how there was a program that was funded with serveral millions of dollars for animal shelters that went bust. The worst part is the reason for the shelters in the first place was not only to get the stray animals off the street that that people were actually being ridiculously cruel to the animals. The article was a little graphic and I just wanted to cry thinking about what human beings did to some of those animals and since the shelters are useless this kind of animal cruelty still exists. I feel like there has to be a way to help in that situation with all the animal lovers I know in the states and I happen to be one. Smells like a project in the making!

So I have had a few days to think about my life here. It seems that the big bad culture shock is gone for now. I think I hit the bottom of the valley the last few weeks and I am now climbing back up the hardest of the mountains but I am on the up and up! I think losing the excess weight helped a lot. It was really nice having someone in my life even if it was for a short time. It definitely helped with the lonliness. I have started to put things in perspective and I have realized what the relationship was for me and that I am better for not being in it any longer. Unfortunately, it wasn't meant to be and that happens.

Tomorrow starts a brand new week. After which I will be in Kiev for a week and I will see some old friends from training. It will be nice to see them and some of us will hang out for the weekend too. I will post something new soon but now I am off to the river with some friends.

I hope you are all well and try to stay cool!

1 comment:

  1. hey kim! nice blog. I read the whole thing. keep posting.
    -sam

    ReplyDelete