Tuesday, August 24, 2010

The Ride of My Life






So today is Ukrainian Independence Day. Everyone was off from work and my counterpart's son just returned from Russia so we went to the River to celebrate his birthday. No one really does much for Independence Day this side of Kiev. You have to be West of Kiev like Kiev or Lviv to enjoy Independence Day. They are really big into it. I will be there next year I guess.

So anyway I met Jud at his home this afternoon and Oksana picked us up from there to head to the river. It has cooled off quite a bit in Ukraine since the last few weeks were so hot so I didn't take my bathing suit. Actually I didn't even know where we were going until I met Jud at his home. I was prepared to go to Oksana's home but I was wrong yet again! It happens alot.

So we hop in the van. Now this van is a car that I have been in quite a few times so far. It is quite bumpy and there is no where to sit inside because we usually have a whole bunch of people we are transporting to and from. Well people in America pay for this kind of amusement let me tell ya! Now the roads in Ukraine are not very good. The main roads are normally paved but not maintained but a few miles from any kind of city and you are pretty much riding on dirt. And the road to the river is basically tire tracks in the middle of an uneven field. So we are bumping along as usual and we get to the spot where we want to set up our picnic and Toleg (Oksana's husband) is trying to park the vehicle in a good spot but we catch a hill from the back and he can't seem to get out of it. Well Jud is sitting on the only back seat that we have in this vehicle with Oksana's father who is also well into his 60s. All of a sudden after one of the many attempts to get up the hill the seat falls back onto the floor and Jud and Mikail go with it. I didn't have time to take my camera out and I was laughing so hard that I wouldn't have been able to function the camera anyway. The look on their faces was priceless and the laughing ensued for quite some time after. AWESOME!

We had a nice chat with Oksana's father. He lives in Russian and was in the Soviet Army during the cold war. He actually helped with the production of rockets which was just really intersting. Can you say you know someone from the Soviet Army during the Cold War that helped build rockets? It is pretty cool. There is so much history here it is just amazing to be in the middle of it. So we tried our Russlish with him for a while but that is what we got out of it.





We went fishing for rock after that which is crab aka crawfish or lobsters. I am not sure because some of them are small and some are big. There was also muscles in the river which I didn't know they had. We had lots of food as always and shashlik. Yum but I am so full. Jud made a blueberry cake for Maxim's bday which was amazing. It is hard to get real cake here. They like this crunchy stuff in their cakes and it isnt moist. Jud made a real cake and it was delicious. And of course we didn't forget the vodka and the cognac.

The ride back was like another roller coaster ride only no one fell over this time. It will be a full moon tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment