Thursday, September 30, 2010

The Village People...








Today was a pretty awesome day. I apologize for not writing often this week but I have made myself so busy that my only spare time is spent sleeping! I have been continuously meeting new organizations in and, now, around Konotop. Each day brings another organization and a whole new set of challenges. I am now looking at a bunch of puzzle pieces, enough for a picture, but I can't figure out how they fit together.

So I am working on about 4 different projects and one of my new responsibilities was to get a list of organizations in Konotop that deal with special needs people. Which I did. And with that I contacted the only NGO listed and I met with them. Well I ended up at a meeting with two other organizations as well and then I am in a car and off to an Elderly Center in a village called Popivka. You've gotta love Ukraine and the Peace Corps because everyday is just different and exciting! How will I go back to the states and work at a desk? Anway, so I am visiting a "village center" if you will which is a place where the elderly and disabled congregate and wash their clothes, get their hair cut or just sit around and sing and trade recipes. There are many centers like this in Ukraine. Well this one is in a village of about 5000 people. It was about the distance that Stari Bilous was from Chernihiv.

So I meet the director Tatiana and she is a big, lovely woman just so full of life and happiness. She couldn't have been happier to see me and talk to me. I don't know all of what she was saying at times but I never took my eyes off of her. She even spoke some English words to me. They showed me their washing machines and the DRYER! I had no idea dryers existed in Ukraine. I would have thought they would use too much energy. Well they exist and this little village center GOT ONE! So I check out the place and then we go to the "meeting room" where everything happens. The babushkas sing to me in Ukrainian which is sweet and then we go check out the mini museum. There we've got all kinds of Ukrainian costumes and art and many things embroidered. AND...this is the fun part. So they have some wedding stuff and they put a head piece on my head...the kind that brides wear and they want to take a picture...ok! Then they get Victor to put his head piece on and take a picture with me...ok. Now it is Luda's turn. It is just too much fun dressing up like a bride. Too bad we didn't have any dresses. Tatiana got such a kick out of it!

After a few more songs and an encore from the singing group we took to the nurse's room for some afternoon chai and cookies. We had some great convo in Rushlish and they invited me to come back tomorrow for some more food because I am too skinny and some alcohol! Apparently it is "the day of old people"! So of course I agree. And then after I return to the city center I am invited to more festivities because it is "teacher's day" tomorrow. Can't wait for tomorrow another day of getting absolutley none of my work DONE but I will have lots of FUN!!

Then we are ready to leave and we take it outside where more conversation happens. Well just before that....can't leave this out... I meet Maria who is an English teacher at the school in the village. She is an older lady probably late 30s and she is just as happy as a peach too. She loves to talk to me in English. And I didn't realize it until now but while the babushkas were singing to me she was sewing me a little something. She presented it to me right before I left. And she even embroidered it to me... "To Kim M". How sweet is that? M is for Maria by the way! I couldn't believe it. I was there only an hour and I got such a wonderful, unexpected gift! That is Maria by the way in the picture holding up the alphabet that she sewed. Wonderful!!

So now back to the front yard. So we are hanging out and rearing to go when all of a sudden where am I? I am on a bike. I am on a bike that is probably as old as the people I am with. I was asked if I could ride a bike and suddenly I am on this thing riding around the front lawn. I know that I had to look ridiculous because I felt ridiculous but it was super fun at the same time. My only regret is that I don't have a picture of this ridiculousness! Luda (my partner at this point) doesn't use a camera well. We will have to have a meeting about that. When things like this happen I need to teach her that it is imperative that you GRAB THE CAMERA ASAP!

That is all I have time for today!




ng

1 comment:

  1. glad to hear you're keeping yourself busy. sorry we didn't get a chance to really hang out much in kiev. maybe next time.
    -sam

    ReplyDelete