Thursday, September 9, 2010

Rosh Hashanah


Today is a Jewish holiday and I take part in the festivities in my town. I love the Jewish center and the Jewish ladies but they don't come tonight. We had a service at 630pm and then we went to eat lots of food and drink vodka (of course). We played some games and just had a great time. There are some pics of the festivities. Dan was trying to get out of the pic but I got him. I didn't take any pictures during the service even though I wanted to. There is another Jewish holiday coming up and we get to build tents. I am so excited for that!

On my way home me, Dan and Rose are speaking in our native tongue and they leave me as I enter the bus. When I get on the bus this young man sits down next to me and asks me in English if I speak English. He is so excited that I speak English. He wants to practice but he doesn't have anyone to practice with. I explain to him that there are actually 4 volunteers in this town and he doesn't know anything about it. Usually everyone at least knows Dan...Dan the Man! We had a great conversation. He lives a few buildings down from me so he walked me home. He has skype too which is unusual. He is very excited about our English Club! It was so awesome to see him get so excited about English.

Earlier today I met with the soccer coach. He is always around at sporting events and I introduced myself to him last week and we had our first meeting today. What is interesting is he is not only a soccer coach (other sports too) but his mother was deaf and didn't speak so he knows sign language. While we were having tea at our meeting an old woman was walking by who was deaf and he called her over and they had a conversaton via sign language. It was pretty amazing. I also saw some other people walking around - younger people - and they were signing as well. There is apparently a factory there where these people work and so most of them live in this one area next to this factory. The conversation was mainly about what all conversations are about which is the small amount of money that Pensioners receive here and how expensive things will be this winter, food and utilities, etc. He also told me about how much he likes America because America is free and we don't have a mafia to get through or have to pay people off to get things done.

The other really amazing thing that happened this week was when I went to the Blind Center. I went there on Wednesday to follow up with them on some questions they had about blind people in America and I met a few more people. I met 4 people who are completely blind 2 of which speak English. I was fascinated. Not only do these people have to overcome their disability but they speak English as well. It is truly amazing. I spoke with Alex for a little while after our meeting. He was so excited to speak to me but he wants to talk more so he can understand my accent. He has a short wave radio at his house and he talks to people in America. He was so nervous to talk to me I could actually feel him shaking as he held onto my arm to talk to me so he knew where I was. I was so touched. He is a very nice man and I can't wait to talk with him more.
It truly is amazing the things that happen as a PCV. Just when you think nothing is happening you meet all this wonderful people and you fall into all these wonderful experiences. I had to laugh today when I left my tutors house I was waiting for the marshrutka and it just took so long to come and I was unusually impatient only because I had a meeting that I had to get to. So when one didn't come I started walking and then sure enough while I am inbetween two bus stops the marshrutka comes and I just know I can't get to the next stop or back to the previous one so maybe if I wave him down he will pick me up. I've seen people do that. Well not this time. He drove right past me. It was just fantastic. I would be so mad if that happened in America and here I just had to laugh. In fact I am laughing about it now. Picture the American standing on the side of the road waving down a bus and the bus doesn't stop. Awesome. Eto jizin.
I heart Ukraine.

No comments:

Post a Comment