Tuesday, September 7, 2010

День города!

Yesterday was a rocking good time. I spent the entire day in the city for "City Day". I think it is a national holiday but different cities seem to celebrate it at different times. Sumi had theres on Saturday and Konotop celebrated it yesterday. It was kind of neat that it takes place the same day as Labor Day in the states so I still get this Monday off even in Ukraine.

I started off at 730am. Just like any other day in Ukraine I don't know what to expect. Too bad too because I found out later that the whole program was in one of the local newspapers and that Alla had one for me on Friday. Oh well! So I wasn't dressed appropriately but that is no surprise. I arrived at work at 8am and everyone was dressed in black. I thought maybe we were going to a funeral. I was in jeans and sneakers...no points for me! So after a lot of running around by my counterpart and the other people in my organization I find myself in the street in the middle of the Konotop parade right behind the band. I love being a volunteer sometimes! My organizaton works directly with the Mayor's office so events like this are planned by my director so we always get the good seats. So we start walking behind the band and the men of the armed forces...old and new and make our way down the streets to the WWII memorial. There we celebrate the veterans for all the things they have done for Ukraine. It is a great celebration. They receive the traditional bread and flowers and then we make our way over to the other side of the park where they begin to dance and put on a show.

Konotop was born in 1637. They tell us all the different things that have happened here since that time. It was a great story and I actually understood some of it and it was all in Ukrainian!! I hope to be trilingual when I leave here. Everone dances and the band plays it was great fun.

After the 3 hour ceremony and parade we head back to the center for festivities, arts/crafts tables, food (lots and lots of food), petting zoos, big bouncy tents (that unfortunately adults can't take part in...boo) beer and vodka and just about whatever else you would picture as part of the birthday of our town. Speaking of vodka I just happened by a babushkas table and there were about 6 of them all singing around their table and I noticed as I was taking a photo of them that they had a bottle of vodka and they were doing shots. That is not the surprising part. What happened next was more interesting. This woman, who I could possibly know, comes running over to me, Rose and Dan and I just know she wants us to do a shot. So I mentally prepare for this and when she comes over she has only one cup and she comes straight for me...crap! This is why I think I know her although I can't place her. I take the shot of course.

We walk around a little more I buy the Lord's prayer in Ukrainian and a Ukrainian weapon (looks like a spiked numchuck with out the numchuck) a little container for my salt because that is so popular here and a little button that says "My favorite friend" that I plan to give to my best friend when I see her.

We eat a lot of food some oily plov, some interesting home made sausage that wasn't very tasty, something that resembled a cinnabon, some popcorn and a хот дог yes that is "hot dog" in Russian.

We watched some dancing and singing and walked around some more. I didn't stick around for the fireworks. I had been out all day and getting home on public transportation after a big event is never easy. I learned that living in NY. If a marshrutka comes that isn't crowded you should play the lottery because it is your lucky day! I didn't want to be squooshed up on my neighbors or pinned to the glass for the ride home. Maybe next year!

(pictures to be posted soon)

No comments:

Post a Comment