Sunday, November 14, 2010

"When the sky is darkest you can see the stars"





I spent a wonderful few days in my new life in Ukraine this past weekend. Friday was birthday and I had an opportunity to see how integrated I am in my town. There are some really amazing people in this town and I have built a nice family around me here. I spent time with Alla, Lena and Posha, Oksana, Luda, Diana, my director and of course my American friends on Friday night for some cake at my apartment. The cake came from one of our Technical School's cooking class. Alla had set up a lunch with them onThursday and they made me a big beautiful cake. It was the perfect way to invite my new Ukrainian friends to my house! We had a small dinner party at work on Friday as well to celebrate me, my director and another colleague that had birthdays this month. Of course vodka was involved and it got way too crazy too early but it was a great time.

I received some great gifts from these amazing people. They gave me a nice plate and sugar bowl that says "My Ukraine", a bag, flowers and a decorative bowl (and a really nice but creepy card - that is for you Rose!). It was way too much and an absolute surprise. I had no idea. All this time I feel disconnected in this experience and on this day I realize that maybe I am touching these people as much as they are touching me.
Thank you to my wonderful friends and family and to my new friends in Ukraine!



No comments:

Post a Comment