Monday, November 29, 2010

From the West to the East...

I need to update you on a few things from the last few weeks. Let's start off by acknowledging the fact that it is winter in Ukraine officially. Today it is snowing really hard. I started my day on an overnight train from Lugansk for the Thanksgiving holiday. As we (John, Arden and I) we entering into the Sumska oblast we notice the snow on the ground. When I arrived into Konotop there wasn't any snow but shortly thereafter it started snowing and now it looks like a blizzard! It is really beautiful actually. I am not a big fan of snow and cold but it is a pretty picture.

It is already getting dark and it is only 330pm. That is the downfall of winter in Ukraine....much shorter days. I was in Lugansk and watching the sunset at 330pm was just a little depressing but such is life. Only 3 more months of this and the sun will start coming up at 330am!

I spent the weekend in Beregova 2 weekends ago in the Karpatski oblast doing some marathon planning. Another volunteer there is putting on their 3rd annual marathon and she requested some assistance. I think it will be a lot of fun. And it is a good thing bringing a marathon to her area because she lives in a very beautiful little town close to the border of Hungary.

Lugansk for Thanksgiving was the next best thing to spending it with my family and friends. We had a lot of laughs and we had so much food. It started in Konotop on Thursday with my English club. Everyone brought in a dish and we had a real thanksgiving dinner on Thanksgiving day. Then we headed to Lugansk on an overnight train and had another feast. Friday we made some salsa from scratch and some quessadillas and had a little mexican treat followed by delicious spaghetti in red sauce and spaghetti in pesto and then some awesome date and chocolate chip cake for the November birthday gang (Arden and myself). Saturday was our official Thanksgiving dinner feast with Turkey, mashed potatoes, salad, apple, pumpkin walnut concoction, three pies, stuffing, delicious homemade gravy and much much more...it was fantastic. A little tast of home.

And just a little update on my actual volunteer work. I had a break through with the Blind organization last week. It seems that they have now figured out how difficult it is to write a grant and they are requesting more time to write it and they now understand the civic educational component of it and they are willing to do some real research and work with lawyers to help with the legislative part of the project. I think I have time now that we can learn how to manage an NGO together which will be a lot of fun for us.

I have another project idea for our Unemployment Center. For those of you who know about Streetwise Partners in the states I think we can duplicate that program and do it here in Ukraine. Empowering women in and out of the workforce. It is a great idea and my contact at our Unemployment Center loves it!

This and some side projects is enough for me for now. I feel like a real volunteer now..."sigh"

To all my friends and family...I missed you on Thanksgiving Day but I was with you and you were with me in spirit. I love and miss you and I am thankful for each and everyone of you!

No comments:

Post a Comment