Sunday, July 18, 2010

A visitor comes to town...





So I went to see the ladies at the Jewish Center on Thursday. Pics to the right. They are just the sweetest. I took some cookies to them this time. They want me to come every Thursday which is nice because it is hard to get through two hours of Russian when I know about 20 minutes. But they are patient with me and we do it. Nenil read me a story from their newspaper about Abraham Lincoln which was really nice. It is like story time there! They always brighten up my day.

Later that afternoon I went to the Unemployment center as I had planned thinking that there was a career fair...well as is the theme of Ukraine I was completely wrong about what we were doing today! So I show up at the center and the Director asks me if I want to go swimming. I am like "sure but when did Konotop get a pool or what body of water is in this building that we are swimming in?" More importantly my other colleague asks me where my bathing suit is. Well my bathing suit is where it always is when I am at work...in my drawers at home. So after a few minutes I realize we are headed to camp near the River Seim...yet AGAIN! So they take me to my apartment on the way and I get my suit and now I am ready to swim. Well when we get there we put on a presentation to the kids at the camp about the importance of choosing a career path and doing something with the rest of your life. I mean I certainly would have listened to some foreign chick in a bathing suit when I was 16/17 years old too! HELLO?! Probably not the best outfit to wear when you are giving a presentation but such is life here. Sometimes you just don't know what you are doing.

So Jay came to town this weekend. He is somewhere in the ball park of 24 hours away. You can make it in 17 but you would be breaking records. I wasn't there with him for the adventure to my town but he kept me posted the whole way and I have to admire his patience because it was tough! I mean the transporation system in this country is something of a mystery sometimes and then on top of that you can't understand the language. It is like a test every time you go somewhere. Well he left is town on Thursday and he got to me on Friday...he made it! We had a nice weekend. I showed him my hood and he left today. I can't wait to mak that trip out to him! It always sucks when your friends leave. Back to life alone. But I am off to camp tomorrow so it's all good. 5 days with other volunteers and some smart kids who speak English.

That is all for now. I will be back on Friday with some good stories....I hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment