Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Another day in the neighborhood...

Today I figured out how to get to the river on my own. Everytime I go I end up with someone who has a car which is great but I didn't know how to get there on my own. I took the marshrutka to the river and got off at the wrong stop! It was quite a way to the river from where I got off so I had to walk pretty far. Good thing I had been to this area before and I knew where I was and generally where the river was. I am getting used to making mistakes and being ok with it. It is life in Ukraine. Things just won’t go as you would like them to. But I made it and took a little sun in for a while before heading back to the city.

It has been a slow week. My director is on vacation so my counterpart is in charge and she doesn’t have much time for me. There are about 7 organizations in my city that want to see my face every week so after I visit them and try to speak Russian for however long it takes me to get through my entire Russian vocabulary which doesn’t take long there isn’t much left to do. Monday I spent some time with the kids drawing pictures. We drew some special places in Konotop and then I drew NYC. I figure that was more fun for them to see some interesting places in NY. Those kids can draw! I have not tapped into my creative side at all. I was never a drawer or painter or woodmaker, etc. My mom still keeps all the things that I made her when I was in school and they are just awful but she kept them! These kids…well they are really creative. They could show me a thing or two not the other way around!

Tomorrow I get to hang with the ladies at the Jewish center. Thursday is by far my favorite day of the week. I love the ladies. They love me too so it works. I will take some pictures tomorrow and post them soon. It is always a party at the center. I wonder if I can bring wine…hmmmm!

Jay is coming this weekend. He is getting on the train tomorrow! I couldn’t be more excited for him to come. Tomorrow after my date with the ladies I will peruse the bazaar for lots of food and cook some things tomorrow night. It is an excellent opportunity to try to cook some Ukrainian dishes and have someone eat them besides me. I will show him the town, try to go to the river and just have fun. I can’t wait!

On the home front…came home to yet the fourth leak in my bathroom and water all over the floor while soaking the new bathroom floor towel I bought at the second hand shop. Hopefully, I will get my new bed tomorrow so I can put the cot away. Cot? Is that spelled correctly? Oh how do you take care of cactus plants? I might be killing them. I don’t do plants!

I think that about covers it for this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment