Monday, July 26, 2010

I always wanted to be a camp counselor... Rose and Kim's Big Top Adventure...

There are always second chances in life, even for simple things like camp. This past week I spent five days at Camp Excite. It is a week long summer camp put on by PCVs in my oblast for youth. I am very happy I had the opportunity to see first hand what the camps are like and how they are run. I will be working with youth so it was very beneficial for me. Well I had no idea that I would be teaching once we got there but I was. There were many very interesting lessons too such as culture, human rights, HIV, etc. I didn't know camps like this existed. I remember going to camp when I was 10 and doing a lot of swimming and arts and crafts but I don't remember learning much. I think it was an excellent addition to camp and it didn't take too much time away from swimming because boy was it HOT out there. The campground was in the open and the sun was blistering hot for majority of the day. But we conducted our lessons in the shade and the kids got plenty of time to swim and cool off. We had songs and ghost stories around the fire at night it was an awesome time. And of course I taught kickboxing at 8am in the morning because why not? I met the other volunteers in my oblast which was also a treat. After five days you really feel like part of the family so it was sad to see the kids go but it was high time to go home and take a shower! I will be back next year.

I feel like I have been away from site for a month. I am sitting at work now typing my blog! Nothing really going on. Summer time is slllloooooow. I have a meeting today where I can hopefully go over some things with my counterpart. Of course I am planning on heading to Odessa this weekend for a few days. I just got back and I am headed out again. So many people take vacation in August it is slower here than in the states. Not easy to get much done.

Yesterday Rose and I went to the Circus... That was quite interesting. If it wasnt for the big top tent I would not have known I was at the circus. In the first act I thought I was at a dog show. They brought out some dogs and did some fun tricks with them. There were two clowns in the show that were a bit sketchy and then of course the bear that had a muzzle on and reminded me of silence of the lambs...it was rather creepy. There were some birds, goats, pigs and a rooster in the show as well. There was a hoola hoop showing and a mini trapeze performance. Not many people can say they have been to the circus in Ukraine but I can!

1 comment:

  1. I am still in shock from that circus... good times??!!?

    ReplyDelete