Sunday, July 4, 2010

Okay it has been two weeks since I have been at site and three months in Ukraine I think I can start the blog back up! I am living in an apartment that is pretty swanky for PC living. I have hot water now and internet so I can't complain. My counterpart is nice she has introduced me to many organizations here. I am working with the Department of Labor but I will be more or less doing things for my partner organizations which are mainly centers for disabled children and pensioners (as they are called in Ukraine). Also there is a chance I can work with war veterans which is super cool since history of warfare is right up my alley especially WWII! I have settled in pretty much everyday gets better. I have lost the sting of being away from my PC friends and home but some days are better than others.

I just got back from a camping/kayaking trip. I am pretty sure I kayaked 70 kilometers from Konotop to Baturyn. I didn't realize what we were doing until the second day of a six hour kayak trip. Apparently this is an event that we were apart of. We kayaked on the River Seim which is a nice river and where most people go when the go to the "beach". I went last weekend with my counterpart for the day and it was nice. It has a stream so it is clean. I also went to Seim during the week with one of our partner organizations. I have been to Seim many times this week! I have to say that I am DONE after three days of lugging my crap around, kayaking, drinking vodka, wiping my a$$ in the woods and dodging mosquitos. It was a lot of fun but I am exhausted. I couldn't wait to come home and take a shower and I broke my shower head after washing the red wine out of my clothes since my counterpart thought it would be a good idea to put it in my bag! Oy!

I haven't worked much. I have spent a lot of time "visiting" people and just doing stuff with them like camp for example! I am going on an excursion on Tuesday with another organization. Again, not exactly "working". I think we are going to the zoo!

So that is pretty much it. I haven't had much time to read up on my PC responsibilities or keep in touch with family or study Russian but all in due time. I really want to figure out my place here but everyone keeps telling me it will come so I will work on being patient because as you all know I AM NOT! :) That is all for now. Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment