Saturday, January 14, 2012

Spain (Color Coded Itinerary Tour continues..)

Now I left off when we finished with Morocco. Barcelona here we are. It's December 27th and we get into Barcy a little late. We took the metro to the hostel and checked in. Our hostel people are cool and they set us up. We go head out and get something to eat not too far from the hostel. We noticed a wine and tapas place not too far from the hostel when we were walking here so we want to check that out.

We get over there and right away I start talking to this couple sitting next to us. They are excited to talk to Americans since they are American themselves. They are from Minnesota. And to talk to the woman you could tell right away. The sweetest things though. The husband is a history teacher at a public school in their town and they are here on his winter break. They have already been here 5 days and have been to enough restaurants in the area to know that this one is the best. So we are excited that we picked it. They tell us what they had for dinner and what was good and what was ok. They also told us about the wine they picked out. The wall is full of wine and you just walk up grab a bottle and the waitress opens it up for you. Doesn't get any easier than that.

Now the menu is a bit more challenging. I can't understand most of what is on there and I love to try new things but I just can't make out what it says. Stephanie is also a vegetarian at times so I don't want to order too much meat and there are lots of meat dishes in the world of tapas. So I try to talk to the waitress about what to order and she is telling me in Spanish which I still don't understand. Amy and Steph order the first round of food and everything was delicious but finger foods and I am HUNGRY. So we order another round and we have three bottles of Rioja wine which is delicious! After dinner since we were such good customers the waitress puts down a frozen bottle of alcohol and three shot glasses on our table. Well after a few glasses of wine I am like "yeah let's do it" so we take the shot and then I proceed to pour another one. Now I don't know what this is but it looks like it could be in the tequilla family which let's face it tequilla is never a good idea especially for me. But I have two shots anyway. Then the owner comes in and he is excited to talk to us and Steph and Amy are getting down with him in Spanish so he is even more excited and then what do you know another bottle of alcohol and more shot glasses are put on our table. Now this looks like it is in the Bailey's family but I still don't know what it is. Now the owner is telling us where we should go to find a good time because now Steph and I are ready to take on the town.

We head back to the hostel to get ready and talk to our concierge about where to go. He gives us a few pointers and we head out. Now I have the map because lets face it we don't know where we are yet or where we are going. We just got here and its dark. We get to the bar that was recommended and we have a blast. We are talking to people. Steph is speaking in Russian. She has a pitcher of Sangria and I have some Mojitos. Then we throw back what we think might have been more tequilla with the bartender and the bouncer. We proceed to the club downstairs and make some more friends. At some point I think it is a good idea to leave so I grab Steph and we go. Now this is where things get a little blurry. One theory is we were attempting to go to another club which is how we got lost, then we realized we were lost, then we fought over who might be right with where we were supposed to go, then we departed company in not so good terms, then I took a cab to the hostel, and it is possible that Steph was attacked by a stranger but either way she had lots of bumps and bruises which could have been her running and falling since she doesn't do the running thing very well. She got back 20 minutes before I did so god only knows what I was doing between the time she left me screaming and when I decided to take a cab. She was running down the street trying to get our friends attention when the hostel guy realized she was staying there and let her in. I got there and she was sleeping on the table but not enough to not see me and try to take a swing at me. I went to bed!

When we woke up in the morning it was all different. First we were still not 100% and we needed more sleep that was obvious. Steph wanted to make sure she had all of her belongings. Well you know how that is. After a good night you wake up, you can't quite remember how you got there but you want to make sure you have your purse, wallet, money, keys and identification. All there...check! We proceed to go over the events of the night but my body is banged up, my head hurts and I can't keep my eyes open so I go back to sleep. Meanwhile it is 930am and we are in Barcelona and the sun is OUT! Around 1130am we wake up again still in pain and can hardly stand up straight but we WILL go out and enjoy this city.

We head to the center to do something but first stopping at..well...yes...of course we are going to eat there...Burger King! Its the only answer after the night we had. After a nice hearty brunch we continue on to the beach area, we find a bench in the sun and take a seat for a while. Amy looks for a bathroom and comes back about an hour later. She found a mall and did some shopping. We then decide that the perfect thing to do right now is get on the hop on hop off bus. The best way to see the city when you are too hung over to walk. We aren't actually going to hop off though. The sun and the stars line up for us and there it is our chariot awaits not too far from where we are sitting the hop on hop off bus! We take to it and we ride around the city for 4 hours! We plan out our next day where we will actually go and see all of these things. It is dinner time now and time to find a place to eat. An uneventful night and its home to the hostel and bedtime!

The next day we have a much better start. We head to breakfast where we eat BAGELS! Can't find those everywhere in case you are wondering why that is exciting. Then we go to the Sagradia Familia. This is the famous church in Barcelona. It takes us an hour to get to the door and then we check it out for 2 hours. Then we decide to get some lunch and we search for sushi which is kind of challenging. We only find a sushi/chinese buffet but it is pretty good. Then we head to the Gothic quarter. This area is like the West Village in NYC. It is so cute and there are so many awesome stores selling off the wall stuff. There are so many cute restaurants and bars. Why weren't we here yesterday?? Then as we attempt to walk back to the hostel and get ready to go to the airport we stumble upon a protest! Not sure exactly what they were protesting but it had something to do with work benefits. That makes getting around more difficult but we finally get to our hostel. Now I've been told for days that our flight doesn't leave until 11pmish. Now I don't know what made me look but I had to take a look at our boarding passes and I see that our flight is at 9pm! It is 7pm NOW! So we scramble to get packed after our laundry debacle. Yes we tried to do laundry which is supposed to be guaranteed in a first world country but the day we show up both washers and dryers break? Anyway we get packed, we head to the subway, we find the bus to the airport, we get there in the nick of time. And now we are off to Poland!

No comments:

Post a Comment