Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Blessed!

So I took part in my first religious holiday in Ukraine (and maybe in my life). I wasn't raised to be religious. I have my beliefs but I've never been very religious. I don't understand it honestly. I like going to church but I never really understood what was going on. Maybe it was the services I attended but I didn't get it. However, last night I was taken to church in my town. It was a beautiful church too. If these kinds of churches existed in the states I would have gone every Sunday just to look at all the paintings! It is also like being in a time machine. There is just so much history.
So anyway, I went with my friend Alla to church last night and a few of her friends were with us. We each took a jar of water. I am not exactly sure what goes on in the church and I can't understand what is being said but everyone lights a candle and there is a choir singing and we stand there for quite some time. The crowd moves you around. There were so many people in the church. I got to see the whole place. It was like crowd surfing at a concert.
After the service in the church we all go outside and stand in a line with our jars of water on the ground in front of us. The pastor comes by and throws water on us with this straw thing. Basically blessing us and our water. The water is then blessed and we can drink it and wash ourselves with it. We can put it in a larger bottle with more water right from the sink and all of the water will be blessed!
I still am not sure what this holiday is called. I keep hearing the word Christian. It is also translated as a baptism, christening or epiphany?!?! Sometimes it is difficult to understand what is going on. And it doesn't help when you don't bring anything to the situation. If I knew more about religions this would not be so difficult to explain!

No comments:

Post a Comment